CITY HALL REPORT
- Second reading of an ordinance approving a lease for the financing of a project; providing for the payment and security of the lease; creating a sinking fund and authorizing the execution of various documents relating to such lease.
- Resolution authorizing the City of Calvert City to use the standard allowance for the local fiscal recovery fund as authorized by the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds.
- A presentation of the 2020-2021 audit by Kemper CPA Group, LLC was presented.
- We are working on budgets for each department and incorporating the Strategic Plan in their planning.
- The final phase of the trail on Lone Valley is still in the hands of the state. They are doing appraisals and land acquisition now.
- The state legislature has potential funding for the airport. Each year we will submit the report for the potential funding.
Public Works Report
- Weather getting nicer, waiting on electrical work at the Pickleball Courts
- Bids are out for the Pickleball fencing and paving.
- Preparing the Soccer and Baseball fields, painting goals and fields
- Working on drainage issues on streets
- Received the new dump truck just in time because the older dump truck went in for repairs.
- Half of Old Park’s playground equipment has been received. We are waiting on the other half and then installation will begin.
- The detention basin is still going on 6th. Weather has limited progress.
WATER AND SEWER REPORT
- The last of the “Smart” meters are being installed this month.
- Work continues on the lift station.
- We’ve been fixing water leaks and cleaning sewer mains.
- The $4 charge started this month.
- The winner of the March Youth Voice Writing Contest is Madeline Babbs from Paducah, KY. She is 13 years old and submitted an entry titled “The Phonograph.”
- The Marshall County Health Department released its Community Health Survey. Please make time to complete the survey. This will be used in decision-making for the health department and county. Find the survey here!
- The Strategic Plan has been printed and is available online. John Ward, the City Administrator, is working with Boards to make sure their goals align with the Strategic Plan. A planning meeting was held with the city administrator, marketing director, public works supervisor, fire chief, and water and sewer supervisor to review their goals for the next seven years. The Strategic Plan can be found here!
- The Kentucky Dam Airport will be having its Open House and Ribbon Cutting on April 8 from 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM with remarks at 3:30 PM.
- A video on “How to rent public facilities” will be released soon to clear up any confusion on using the civic center or park pavilions.
- The Calvert branch of the Marshall County Public Library was recognized nationally for a program they have launched that provides access to bicycles and equipment by the Small Urban Area Walk/Bike Study.
- The TN RiverLine will be coming in June and the community will be invited to attend an open meeting to discuss Calvert City’s relationship with the River.
- The 2022 Activity Guide is live and can be downloaded HERE!
Calvert City Fire Department Report
- In December 2021 at the Jingle All the Way 5K and Fun Run an incident occurred and four bystanders jumped in to perform CPR. Because of their courage, it kept the runner alive long enough for the fire department to arrive on scene and utilize the Automated external defibrillators (AEDs). Those four individuals were recognized and presented a Certificate of Courage by Fire Chief Timmy Davis, Mayor Gene Colburn, and the gentleman whose life was saved on that December Day. Those recognized where Jacee Story, Maggie Vasseur, Jessica Moss, and Rebecca O’Neal.
- The Jackson Purchase Fire School has around 200 signed up for the school and that’s the most in many years. Calvert City is hosting the school.
- The Chief thanked the council for allowing them to purchase battery operated extrication tools because they used it in a recent wreck.
- The fire department was painted and looks very nice.
- The fire fighter that was injured from Gilbertsville is still in the hospital and they are planning some fundraising events for his family.
- The Jackson Purchase Fire School will host a community event on March 26 from 5-8 PM with food trucks and live music in Memorial Park.
- Let’s Ride a Bike – March 26 at 10:00 AM at the Calvert City branch of Marshall County Library
- Airport Open House and Ribbon Cutting – April 8, 3PM – 5 PM
- Meet the Candidates – April 14 – 8:00 AM $20 for tickets available at the Kentucky Lake Chamber office.
- Women in Business Luncheon – April 19 – Calvert City Civic Center – tickets available at Kentucky Lake Chamber office.
- Grace Community Garden is getting started this month. Everyone in the community is invited to help with the vegetable and flower garden. If you would like to participate, please call the Lake News at (270)395-5858
- Get Ready to Garden – April 9 – 10 AM at Lakeland Event Center. Learn the tips and tricks from master gardeners in the area!
- Hoppin’ Shoppin’ Speggtacular Arts and Crafts show – Lakeland Event Center 9 AM – 4:00 PM
- Kites Over Calvert – May 7 – Doctors Park 1 PM – 3 PM – Free Kites
MEET OUR LEADERS
Latest from the Blog
Calvert City, KY (May 27, 2022) – Join us on Thursday, June 9, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Calvert City Civic Center for 652 to YOU, our Calvert City community engagement event. 652 to YOU will allow friends in Calvert City and surrounding areas to share feedback and...
The City of Calvert City is accepting applications for the position of Police Officer until 4 p.m. CST Friday, May 27, 2022. Any person interested in applying for this position may obtain an application and job description from the Clerk’s Office at Calvert City –...
Local Pickleball players went to Jackson TN to compete in the Jackson Summer Classic on May 13-15. This was a very well ran tournament under very hot weather conditions. The competition was tough. With 192 entries competing on 10 courts, 19 local players brought...