Calvert City Council met on July 11 for their regularly scheduled monthly meeting.
Here’s what happened!
Calvert City Hall Report
- The booklets for the 2022-23 budget will be printed by next meeting in August.
- The Mayor is looking in to drainage issues across private land owner properties and what the city can do to help with maintenance.
- We have rented all airport hangers and we have added three to the waitlist.
- Tim Haskell is in discussion with the state regarding the fence for the airport. He hopes to have more details at the next council meeting. With three agencies involved, it takes time.
- Last fall Tim did an aerial survey of the airport last year. The area is significantly smaller than anticipated and it looks like around 30 trees will need to be removed for proper approach and takeoff of an aircraft. The city will receive roughly $200,000 from the state to assist with this project.
- The topic of discussion with the advisory board next week will be the airport layout plan, the identification of land use plan and the development of facilities and recommendations of the runway length.
- If you are feeding wild animals, please beware that they are wild animals and they can carry various diseases. Please refrain from feeding these animals and keep them wild.
Calvert City Public Works Report
- All the fencing is done at the Pickleball Courts. Benches and bleachers will be ordered this week and the painter will be here in about three weeks to finish the project end of August.
- The water basin project started again today. It will be about three weeks to finish the project.
- The Moneymaker trail has a little over two miles completed in the beginner trail behind the Elementary School.
- Several ditches and culverts need to be cleaned out while the weather is dry and continued work at City Hall.
- We will be looking at designs for restrooms that will be added at the pickleball and in Doctor’s Park.
- There were a lot of positive comments regarding Ameribration and the cleanliness of the city during the 4th of July.
- The health department does not allow pets in the splash fountain. If an animal is seen in the splash fountain, the fountain will be closed for up to three days for cleaning. Please do not bring your pets to the splash fountain.
Calvert City Marketing and Business Development Report
- Shakespeare in the Park is set for July 23 and 24 sponsored by the Marshall County Childrens Arts Commission in Memorial Park.
- The first-ever Homegrown Tomato Contest weigh in has started! The city has partnered with Holly Nursery to see who can grow the BIGGEST tomato! Judging is based on weight and there will be more information to come!
- If you would like to nominate a yard for Yard of the Season, now is the time! Click here to nominate.
- The evening edition of Food Truck Friday begins August 5 and coincides with the next Moonlight Movie Night in the Park showing Jungle Cruise. The movie night is sponsored by TAG Truck Service and the Calvert City PTO.
- The hotel feasibility study is completed and upon recommendation from Pro Forma the study included statistical and highlighted narratives to support the conclusions. To view the executive summary of the study, click HERE. To request an emailed version of the full report, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The TN RiverLine had a great visit in June and plan to have a conceptual design to us by September.
Calvert City Utility Department
- July 21 is the deadline for applications for the positions available at the water department. If you would like to apply, please call Calvert City Hall at 270-395-7138.
Calvert City Fire Department
- The Fire Training Center transformed their tanker into a leaking prop. It trains on how to stop a leak in a tanker. It has a very intricate valve system and they are waiting on a specific valve
- Medical Calls are increasing due to the hot weather. The fire chief would like to stress to check on neighbors during this hot weather.
- Three new fire fighters have joined the department.
Calvert City Police Department
- Police Chief said there was an increase in golf carts at this years Ameribration and was probably the first time there wasn’t a call for service. Everything went well.
- Brian Coleman was announced as the new police officer. He will be working midnights.
- Guardian Angel has arrived for all police officers. It can be seen from many miles away and benefits police officers when on a scene.
The next scheduled meeting is August 8 at 5:30 PM at Calvert City Hall.
Like and Subscribe to Calvert City’s Youtube Page to tune in LIVE online!
MEET OUR LEADERS
Latest from the Blog
Join us for a day of festive events for the entire family! Run a 5K, shop till you drop at the Calvert City Christmas Bazaar, light the tree with us in Memorial Park, and watch all the beautiful lighted Christmas floats in the Lions Club Christmas Parade all in one...
The City of Calvert City is accepting applications for the Public Works Department. Persons interested in applying for this position must file an application for the position at the Clerk’s Office of Calvert City – City Hall no later than 4:00 p.m. central standard...
Calvert City is inviting businesses and homeowners to decorate their storefronts and homes as part of the Calvert City Holiday Decorating Contest. Judging is set for December 8 from 6-8 p.m. “The contest encourages community pride and that pride is important to...